06 April, 2011

My Belgian Bucket List

I got back from Greece this afternoon, and I'm leaving for Paris in the morning. I'm in the middle of a washing machine crisis, so I don't really have the option of posting real info at the moment. I promise to fill you all in when I get back on Sunday. But for now, here's a post I wrote a few weeks ago that I've been saving. Enjoy! :)


At the beginning of the year, I made a Belgium Bucket List. I haven't paid very close attention to it, just randomly crossing things off if I remembered they were on it. But tonight, after a conversation with the ever-wise Jordan, I took another look at it, and I'm surprised by everything I've done. So, here's my list (slightly modified). I've marked off everything I've done so far, and crossed off some random things that I've changed my mind about... Some of them just aren't important to me anymore.



Belgium Bucket List

1. Have a party with Arnaud
2. Understand lui and leur (French object words)
3. Get above 80% on a science test
4. Try 7 types of Belgian beer and list them here:
1. Jupiler
2. Kriek
3. Maes
4. Pecheresse (Lindemans)
5. Chimay
6. Desperados (technically not Belgain)
7.
5. See the whole Waterloo thing (exhibit)
6. Go to an opera
7. Musée des Beaux Arts (Museum of Fine Arts) to see La Mort de Marat (the Death of Marat)
8. Read and understand Voltaire
10. Smile every day
11. Take pictures!
12. Go to the ocean with Amandine and Florian
14. DANCE!!!
15. Drink fire
16. Make friends with someone I wouldn't normally be friends with
17. Try Chichi's Mexican
18. Anvers (Antwerp)
19. Learn 12 words in Dutch
20. Stay out all night
21. Learn the bus system
22. Learn the rock
23. Get a haircut
24. Try all the fry sauces
25. Go to a football (soccer) match
26. Climb the steps of Liège
27. Understand a French movie
28. Learn to make waffles
29. Learn to dance like a Belgian
30. Learn to cook a traditional Belgian dish
31. Be able to tell the difference between a French and a Belgian accent
32. Go to a fancy dinner party
34. Go to Germany
35. See the peeing statue (the classier name for this is the Mannekin Pis)
36. Go swimming
37. Make a skirt
38. Make good chocolate chip cookies myself
39. Convince someone else to apply for an exchange
40. Find Chinese food
42. Try canned hotdogs
43. Enjoy Christmas
44. Journal in French
45. Go to a French concert
46. Go sledding
47. Forget English
48. Wear heels
49. Go to a party at someone's house


My original list has 50 things on it, but I don't want to share them with the world, so I left them off.

The things in blue I've already done.

Like I said before, some of these things are not important to me anymore. Those things are in pink.

The ones that are left... well, I still have 3 months left. I just don't want to go home saying, "I could have..."


Carpe diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment