02 September, 2010

I can't believe I'm saying this.

I miss Loveland.













Shocking, I know. I lived there for a little over three years and couldn't wait to get out, and now that I'm gone, I miss it. Crazy.

Today was my first day of school here in Belgium. It really wasn't too bad. Granted, I had no idea what was going on most of the time, most of the kids ignored me, and the guy who was supposed to show me around abandoned me, but overall, it didn't suck. I kind of enjoyed myself. At least I didn't have to listen to the blasted chipmunk all day long.

The first class I had was French with Père Boly and the other exchange students, Emma, Talia and Eduardo. After French, the principal (maybe...) took us to our classrooms and introduced us, asking who would like to be our 'godmother' and 'godfather' and show us around. My "godfather" was a kid named Frèdèric. He only said about a dozen words to me, and I didn't understand most of them, but he was pretty nice. He did abandon me at lunch though. He said, "You can eat with the other Americans," and I never saw him again. A girl named Fabiola took me under her wing though, and SHE SPOKE ENGLISH! She's originally from Canada, so she and I were able to communicate very well. I liked her a lot. After lunch, Emma, Talia and I went to the principal's office to see if we are actually supposed to take an English class. The answer for Emma was yes, but then there was a major problem with the schedule, so Talia and I were told to go sit in "Étude," which is like a study hall. After that, I had a religion class and sat next to a girl named Wiff (her full name is Wiviene or something like that). The religion class was basically a "get to know you" type of thing in addition to being a "gawk at the American" festival. I'm lucky, on Thursdays, I'm finished with school at 2:40 (after the religion class). So I went outside and waited for Anne-Michèle and listened to my iPod for the first time since I've been here.

One thing that kind of got to me about school: a good portion of the kids ignored me. They would greet the group of people I was with, but then their eyes would slide right over me like I wasn't even there. It would've been nice to get a "bonjour" or even a smile. But I suppose it'll come with time. Wiff and Fabiola were very nice, as was a girl named Sophie. Hopefully I'll get to hang out with them some more.

Oh. And the students all stand up when the teacher enters the classroom.

The school I'm going to has a LOT of breaks during the day. They have periods 1 and 2, then a 10 minute break. 3 and 4, then lunch for an hour. 5 and 6, then a 10 minute break. 7 and 8, then we go home. Actually, I didn't see any classes in block 8, so I'm not sure how that works. Maybe I'll have some there on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

I asked Fabiola about gym class today, and she said that they play volleyball, soccer, baseball (I might accidentally break my leg when it comes time for that), and go biking in Hannut. Yes, biking. The school has 30 bikes it bought for the fitness classes. Craziness.

After school, Anne-Michèle, Amaury and I went shopping at Aldi's. Yes, Aldi's. I haven't been to an Aldi's in YEARS. It was kind of funny. :)

After Aldi's, we went to a store across the street so I could get gym pants. Yes, pants. Shorts aren't allowed. Your knees must be covered. Seriously.

Now I'm at home, waiting for dinner. Adrien is having a going away thing tonight, and I might go later with Arnaud. I don't know if I'll be able to stay awake though.

À bientôt,

Mikayla

No comments:

Post a Comment