31 October, 2010

Ode to Arnaud, the Cookie King.

Here's what went down this weekend:

Friday night, I was supposed to spend the night with the chipmunk, but that got cancelled. So instead, I went to Talia's house, and hung out with her and Emma before we headed to the café in Hannut. Talia left to go to a party in Liège, and Emma and I stayed at the café, chatting and writing Belgium bucket lists.

I spent the night at Emma's, and came home the next morning.

When I got home, Arnaud showed me that there was something about American politics in the newspaper, and he explained what it meant in English. We talked for a while, and then I asked him if he read my blog lately. He said no, why? I told him that I had a challenge for him. HE can try making cookies, if he doesn't like mine. He laughed, and we went on our merry way. About an hour later, I came downstairs for lunch, and there was Arnaud with a plate full of butter and a giant mixing bowl full of flour and sugar. I asked him what he was doing, and he said, "What you told me to do." I looked closer, and sure enough, he was making chocolate chip cookies. The family ate lunch, and afterward, I did sudoku while Arnaud tried to make his cookie dough into the little ball shapes. It was the first time I've ever seen someone use two wooden spoons to put the dough on the cookie tray. Here are the pictures of his cookie adventures:



Using spoons to put the cookie dough on the cookie sheet.


First batch.


The artist's work space.

Anyway, as he was making the cookies, I learned that Arnaud had never before eaten raw cookie dough. Naturally, I felt a need to remedy that situation, so I had him try the raw stuff. I'm pretty sure he thought it was gross.

Talia arrived not long after that (she, Emma and I went to Liège for the afternoon), and she ate some raw cookie dough as well. It was REALLY good cookie dough. REALLY good.

So, the first batch of cookies finished baking, and Talia and I did a taste test.

Arnaud wins, hands down. They were REALLY good cookies. REALLY REALLY good. Even better than the ones I made with Emma. And (no offense Talia...) about a billion times better than the ones I made with Talia. They tasted almost exactly like good old American Nestlé Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies. I'm still amazed.

Also, Arnaud had only made cookies once before in his ENTIRE 21 years of existence on this planet (CRAZY). He has mad skills. I applaud him.



After the cookies, Talia and I met up with Emma at the train station, and we took a train to Liège to do a little shopping. I ended up finding some super cheap earrings that I like a lot, so I bought a little present for myself.

We came back to Waremme at about 6:30, and Anne-Michèle brought me home. I had a quick bite to eat, then left with Etienne to go bowling near Charleroi. It turns out that the bowling was actually a tournament, and the people we were bowling with were BEASTLY. This one guy kept correcting my form and trying to teach me how to bowl better, and it did help. Oh, and I won a Mars bar! That cheered me up. :)

Today, I slept in laaaaate and read for a while, before heading over to the stable to ride. I enjoyed myself, even when I landed butt-first in the dirt. It's a learning experience. :)

Now, I'm at home, wishing I could watch the Packer's game. Oh I miss football.

Tomorrow night, I'm going to Namur with Arnaud, Talia, Emma, and a bunch of Arnaud's friends to do karaoke. I don't think I'll be singing, but we'll see.

Tuesday, I have a Rotary meeting, and Wednesday, Etienne is taking me to Bruges.

Thursday, I'm leaving for London with Rotary. I'm so excited!


1 comment: