16 October, 2010

A weekend with Emma.

Okay, so I haven't written about the soirée yet, but I promise I will soon. This post is all about the fabulous weekend that began on Friday night and is going to end Tuesday morning.

Friday after school, I went home with Emma. Her host mom picked us up from the café after school, and we went to a lady's house to buy some vegetables. When we got back in the car, Emma and I were both complaining about how hungry we were, so her host mom took us to a boulangerie (pastry shop/chocolate shop/bread shop/heaven) and let us each pick out a piece of cake. I got something involving chocolate and mocha, and Emma picked out a cherry creation. We drove home before indulging in the deliciousness, and let me say, that was possibly the best piece of cake I've ever had. EVER. It was SO yummy.

After that, Emma and I asked her mom if we could make pumpkin seeds, since her mom was making pumpkin soup. She agreed, and so Emma and I spent the next hour or so picking pumpkin seeds out of pumpkin goo and trying to explain the idea behind pumpkin seeds to her host mom. She seemed a little dubious at first, but after we baked them, she couldn't get over how delicious they were. Emma and I ate a good portion of them, but we saved some for the rest of her family too. I definitely want to make more.

We ate a delicious dinner with her host family, and afterward, we put on sweatpants (YES) and made cookies. Emma is the best. These cookies were PERFECT. I tried making cookies with Talia last week, and they didn't exactly work... They were more like little rocks than cookies. But the cookies Emma made... fantastic. Absolutely perfect. There was one cookie in the bunch that was just... words can't describe it. It was the PERFECT cookie. Baked to a light golden brown, the correct chocolate to cookie ratio... It was amazing. We saved that cookie for Arnaud, my host brother, to try to help him recover from the traumatic experience of eating a cookie I made with Talia. Although, he said that the cookies Emma made were too soft. So Arnaud, here is a challenge for you: You can try making the cookies. That way they won't be too hard or too soft. Show us how it's done. :)

The only downside to making the cookies was that I burned my finger. Why does that always happen to me? It's nothing too bad though, and it doesn't hurt. I'm excited because I think it's going to be a wicked awesome scar when it's healed.

After cookies, Emma and I went up to her room and tried to watch Ocean's 11, but we both fell asleep.

The next morning, we made French Toast. YUM. It was delectable. SO delicious. French Toast is really good with Nutella, by the way. Shortly after breakfast, Emma had a dance class, so her host mom drove me home on the way to dropping her off. I cleaned my room and just bummed around for about 2 hours, and then Emma came over to my house. We basically sat on my bed on our respective computers, chatting and just relaxing. No one was home last night, so we made tortellini with a butter sauce... Kind of. It was supposed to be a butter sauce, but it turned into a butter/milk/flour/cheese-alfredo-ish sauce, but it was actually REALLY delicious. We had an excellent dinner followed by some home-made mousse au chocolat (chocolate mousse) made by my host dad. That stuff was GOOD.

After our delicious dinner, we hung out some more, talking and being crazy girls.

We got ready for bed and watched 27 dresses. It was a pretty cute movie, and lemme say, James Marsden is a very attractive human being. We fell asleep at about 2 am, and slept till 9:30 this morning, which was refreshing.

We got up and had breakfast, and then my host dad drove us back to Emma's house, where I'll be spending the night again tonight, and possibly tomorrow night as well. We don't have school Monday, so Emma's host mom is taking us to Brussels to see some sort of exhibit about European/American relations. I'm rather excited. :) Plus, I get to raid Emma's closet, which will be fun.

That's about all I have for now... I'll write another post in the next couple days about the rest of what's going on. Until then, enjoy life and eat dessert first.

Mikayla

Oh, and I cut my bangs. :)

6 comments:

  1. Oooo, Brussels!!! How cool! Sounds like a fantastic weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited for it. :) I've been having a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I know the feeling. I miss American food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I went to that Europe/America expo in Brussels yesterday haha! :)

    ReplyDelete